At Brown & Medina Nutrition our Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE’s) have the expertise to educate and formulate plans for those with Type 1, Type 2, Gestational and Pre-Diabetes. We also treat the complications of Diabetes such as renal disease, gastroparesis and cardiovascular disease. Diabetes can be a trigger for disordered eating or part of an active eating disorder less formally known as Diabulimia. Our Certified Diabetes Educators also specialize in the treatment of Eating Disorders making Brown & Medina Nutrition a unique fit to treat this emerging disorder.
Most often, our clients are already treated with some type of medical intervention prior to our initial consultation. Whether treated with an insulin pump, daily multiple insulin injections, oral medication or strictly diet our Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE’s) will help meet your diabetes management goals.
How We Help:
- We assess current glucose control and work with the client’s endocrinologist to fine tune the insulin regime/oral glucose lowering medications with diet and exercise; we can recommend insulin to carbohydrate ratios; correction factors; overall glucose goals; an insulin regime for exercise, sick days and special occasions.
- If so desired we educate our clients in carbohydrate counting and provide carbohydrate goals.
- We work with our clients collaboratively to develop a meal plan based on their preferences, lifestyle, glucose goals and any other dietary restrictions due to complications of diabetes.
- We review glucose and food records with our clients and make ongoing adjustments to their insulin.
- We collaborate not only with the endocrinologist but with other health care providers, as needed, such as psychotherapists and nephrologists.
For more information about your treatment, please call our office for further details.