Food Allergies and Intolerance
Navigating one’s dietary intake or that of a child with food allergies can be tricky and scary. We help simplify this process and provide clearly defined meal planning and guidelines to help avoid the offending foods while meeting nutritional needs.
Food allergy is an abnormal response to a food triggered by the body's immune system. We assess the nutritional adequacy of our clients’ diets and devise meal plans to meet their needs. Additionally, we educate our clients and develop strategies for safely navigating the food environment.
The Top 10 Food Allergies In The United States
- Milk (found in yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese as well as smaller amounts in baked goods)
- Tree nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, etc)
- Shellfish and other seafood
- Gluten – Gluten is a protein commonly found in wheat, but also in barley, rye, and some other grains.
Milk and egg allergies are the most common food allergies in children while fish and shellfish are the most common food allergies in adults. Here in the US, peanut and tree nut allergies trigger the most serious reactions and can lead to “anaphylaxis” which is a rapidly progressing, life-threatening allergic reaction.
How We Help:
- We assess nutrient intake and can do analyses when necessary to get detailed interpretations.
- We provide meal planning to make navigating our clients’ allergies easier while meeting their dietary needs.
- We provide on-going assessment and support until our clients’ feel secure in their abilities to manage their nutrition fully on their own.
- We collaborate with our clients’ allergist when appropriate to help with continuity of care.
Food Allergy Resources:
For more information about our services and specialists, please call our office for further details.